Monday, May 11, 2009

Free coffee grounds for your garden


Starbucks Coffee® is currently offering Grounds for your Garden. Come to any Starbucks and tell the store manager (or shift supervisor on duty if the manager isn't available) that you're interested in free coffee grounds. Depending upon the popularity of the store, you can pick up grounds daily or every other day. Starbucks will even bag up the grounds for you!

Coffee grounds can be a nice addition to your garden soil or compost pile. However, since they are acidic, be careful of how much you add. Most home gardens aren't going to need a bag of coffee grounds daily or even every other day. This post over at Green Talk™ covers some of the pros and cons of adding coffee grounds to your garden. What I took away from this discussion is that you probably should "not add more grounds until the original grounds [have] decomposed."

Happy gardening!


Photo credit: Jonny Hunter, through a Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license.

2 comments:

Anna (Green Talk) said...

Thanks for referencing my article. I just replanted my roses and they are in real shock. So, I am hoping that I can revive them with coffee grounds like I did a couple of years ago.

The worms in my compost love the grounds!

jublke said...

Hi Anna, thanks for stopping by! Would you believe that I still need to try adding coffee grounds to my garden? You'd think with all of the coffee that we drink around here that I'd have done that a long time ago.

I noticed in your blogger profile that you are LEED certified. If you'd ever like to drop by here at Mama Joules and talk about LEED, let me know. I wrote a couple of articles about LEED certified schools a while back and I know it's a hot environmental topic right now, and one that could use a little explanation for folks.