Monday, November 9, 2009

Where were you when the wall came down?

Twenty years ago today, as a college student, I sat transfixed before my television. People were standing on top of the Berlin Wall, tearing it to shreds. It was an event that I never thought I would see in my lifetime. The wall went up less than ten years before I was born. As long as I could remember, the wall had always been there, immovable and permanent. But on November 9, 1989, the wall came down. Amazing.

Today, the Berlin Wall reminds me that some problems, though they seem insurmountable at the time, do eventually have solutions. It might just take some time for us to break through.


Photo credit: Mama Joules (This portion of the Berlin Wall is currently on display at the Newseum.)

2 comments:

DNLee said...

hey, Mama Joules. I hope you consider submiting a post to the upcoming Diversity in Science Carnival. http://urban-science.blogspot.com/2009/11/call-for-submission-diversity-in.html

jublke said...

DNLee, I'm sorry to have missed this one. I think it's a great carnival! I'm planning to submit a post for your December issue. :)