Wednesday, February 28, 2018

What is Science Fiction Tanka?

One of the hats I wear, when I’m not volunteering as a naturalist or pondering science, is as a poet. I started seriously writing short-form poetry in 2009, after the birth of my daughter. Science fiction haiku, known as scifaiku, is one of my favorite means of expression, and led me to a new project. (The information below is largely adapted from my poetry blog,
Stars in My Sugar Bowl):
Recently, I teamed up with my friend Susan Burch and co-edited a special feature at Atlas Poetica on science fiction tanka. Simply put, science fiction tanka is a cross between tanka and science fiction. In other words, tanka with science fiction themes.
I tend to think of tanka as expanded haiku, but they are really more of the opposite, since - historically speaking - haiku is an abridged form of tanka. The five-lined tanka has a rich history in Japan, and these short little poems were primarily sung as love notes at one time. 
While you can find isolated science fiction tanka published here and there, there isn’t much written to define exactly what it is. We explored the boundaries of the form as we sifted through the submissions. 
Strong science fiction tanka are well-crafted tanka with a clear voice and rich imagery that immerse you in an alien world. Poems about watching science fiction or pondering the idea of alien life didn’t grab us as much as poems written from a truly alien perspective. Yet, there has to be something about the poem for the reader to relate and adhere to. I think the mix between the truly bizarre alien experience and yet somehow familiar marks a good science fiction tanka in much the same way as the aha! momentthe reader’s reaction of wow, I didn’t expect the poem to do that but it’s exactly right - does for haiku.
I’ve heard that reading a good haiku sampler should be akin to trying a box of chocolates - lots of variety, a few favorites, but nothing tastes bad. I think we’ve achieved that with 25 Science Fiction Tanka and Kyoka, which can be viewed here. (If you can’t get the link to work, try standard view.)

No comments: