Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Top Ten Blog Posts at Mama Joules

I’m cleaning house here at Mama Joules and that means upgrading my page layout, which has become messy, dated, and cluttered. Much like my physical house ... but I digress. One thing I didn’t want to lose in a frenzy of cleaning was my list of most popular posts here at Mama Joules.

As of today, here are the top ten most visited posts since I started this blog in 2007:

10. Cricket Ears are Amazing. Did you know that crickets hear through their knees? Neither did I! For whatever reason, this is my most popular post with spammers.

 9. Fingernails are like tree trunks. Oh, my heart. The teeny tiny hands in this blog post are now 12 years old and Little Brother is taller than me.

 8. Thoughts on Pollution. I’ll have to let my high school junior know that his thoughts on pollution at the age of 7 have gone viral. 😀 But Kerm is now in an ecology magnet program, so maybe this post pointed toward his future.

 7. Carnival of Space #139. Wow! This blog carnival devoted to all things astronomy is still going strong. You can read #551, the March 6, 2018 installment, here

 6. Caterpillars change colors ... who knew? I certainly didn’t. The most enjoyable thing about writing a science blog, for me, is that I can indulge my curiosity about the natural world.

 5. What’s in a bowling ball? This is one of my all-time favorite posts. I had no idea that the interior of a bowling ball is so complex.

 4. More Weird Animal Names. This was a follow-up post to #3, because folks just seem to like reading about animals like the poor man’s pig and Pac-Man frogs.

 3. Weird Animal Names. From dung beetles to stinkpot turtles, some animals are just stuck with unflattering names.

 2. The Calendar of Science Holidays. This is another personal favorite of mine. I’m still taking holidays! Let me know if there’s something you think I should add. (This link takes you to the revised  page since the original is now lost in cyberspace somewhere.)

 1. The Joy of Paper Snowflakes. Well, darn it. It looks like Make-A-Flake is still up, but I can’t access it from my iPad. The other sites are down. I should look into updating this post, especially since it seems people like making flakes!


This picture used to sit in the sidebar of this blog because I loved it so much. These Moreton Bay fig trees, located on Kauai, were featured in Jurassic Park. This particular photo found its way into a book, Not the Same Tree, by Angela Dyer.


If you liked this post, you might also like these five, which historically have been popular here at Mama Joules too:

Drought for Thought
How Big Are Raindrops?
Length, Area, and Volume
We Are All Scientists
What is Global Warming?


No comments: